search this site.

150608P - CONSENT BY SUBJECT FOR PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly



Presentation at an “IRB Training Program” at the Ministry of Health Riyadh on 8 June 2015 By Professor Omar Hasan Kasule Sr. MB ChB (MUK). MPH (Harvard), DrPH (Harvard) Chairman of the Institutional Review Board at King Fahad Medical City.


IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
·        Protocol Number
·        Name of Subject
·        Medical Record Number
·        Study Title
·        Principal Investigator
·        Address
·        Telephone

Introduction - 1
·        A member of the research team will explain what is involved in this study and how it will affect you.
·        This consent form describes the study procedures, the risks and benefits of participation, and how your confidentiality will be maintained.
·        Please take your time to ask questions and feel comfortable making a decision whether to participate or not.

Introduction - 2
·        This process is called informed consent.  If you decide to participate in this study.
·        You will be asked to sign this form and will be given a copy for your records.
·        Throughout this consent form, “you” will refer to you or your child, as appropriate.

Sections of the form - 1
·        Why is this study being done?
·        How many people will take part in the study?
·        What will happen if I take part in this study?
·        What is expected of me during the study?
·        How long will I be in the study?
·        Can I stop being in the study?
·        Are there risks if I stop being in the study? What side effects or risks can I expect from being in the study?

Sections of the form - 2
·        Are there benefits to taking part in the study?
·        What other options are there?
·        What happens if I am injured because I took part in this study?
·        What are the costs of taking part in the study?
·        Will I be paid for my taking part in this study?
·        Will my medical information be kept private?
·        What are my rights if I take part in this study?
·        Who do I call if I have questions or problems?
Consent by the subject
·        The research and procedures have been explained to me.
·        I have been allowed to ask any questions I have at this time.
·        I can ask any additional questions I may think of later. 
·        I may quit being in the study at any time without affecting my health care.
·        I will receive a signed copy of this consent form.
·        I agree to participate in this study.  My agreement is voluntary.  I do not have to sign this form if I do not want to be part of this research study.

Person Obtaining Consent
·        I have explained the nature and purpose of the study and the risks involved.
·        I have answered and will answer questions to the best of my ability.
·        I will give a signed copy of the consent form to the subject.

Legally Authorized Representative
·        The person being considered for this study is unable to consent for himself/herself because he/she is a minor.
·        By signing below, you are giving your permission for your child to be included in this study.